Put Sin to Death
April 2018 – Pastor Brian Viljoen
Paul warns us about letting sin linger in our lives, so how do we kill sin? Beginning with Romans 8, John Piper walks through several passages to explain the weapons God has given us to defeat sin and its deception.
How We Kill Sin: By the Spirit
1. We kill sin “by the Spirit” (Romans 8:13).
2. The only weapon in the armor of God is the word of God (Ephesians 6:16-17). So, we kill sin by the
Spirit by wielding the word against temptation.
3. We kill sin by the Spirit by hearing the word with faith (Galatians 3:5).
We defeat sin when we trust that God’s word holds a superior satisfaction.
4. We kill sin “through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).
Killing Sin: An Example …Read Hebrews 13:5-6 (about the love of money).
1. “Keep your life free from love of money.” (Hebrews 13:5)
2. Because God says (God’s word), “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).
Trust God’s promises over the promises money makes.
3. Don’t love money. Instead, love God’s promises and be satisfied in them.
1. “If you live according to the flesh you will die” (Romans 8:13).
2. “But if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” (Romans 8:13)
3. Do not make peace with sin along the path of warfare.
4. This fight is fought by the Spirit, not in our strength.
5. We trust in the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, which satisfies us more than anything
the deeds of the flesh can give us.
1. What are the deeds of the body?
After defining them yourself, look at Romans 6:12-13 and improve your definition.
2. How do we kill sin? Read Ephesians 6:16-17, Galatians 3:5, 2 Thessalonians 2:13,
and Hebrews 13:5 for help.
3. What does it mean to kill sin “by the Spirit”?
John Owen: “Be killing sin, or it will be killing you.”